Sacred Heart Primary School is a Catholic school that was founded by the Sisters of Mercy in 1906. Classes were conducted in the Parish church, situated in Pine Avenue. This arrangement continued until 1914 when a new school was built in Walnut Avenue. Around 1924, this building was moved to a site at the rear of the present church. The school continued to operate out of this building and over the years it was extended and renovated. This building now serves as the Parish Hall.
On 24th April 1955, the Most Reverend J.P. O’Collins, Bishop of Ballarat, blessed and opened the first stage of the buildings we now occupy. Since then many capital works programs have occurred to add additional classrooms and buildings. The school currently has
Our school enrolment peaked at around 550 children in 1974, immediately prior to the opening of our second Parish school, St. Paul’s, in September of that year. Our school’s enrolment remained stable in the years since, remaining at around 350 children.
The Sisters of Mercy continued their work in the school until 1976. In 1977, the first lay Principal was appointed and since that time, the school has been serviced by dedicated educators.
The voluntary efforts and hard work of many school community members are evident at Sacred Heart. The continued goodwill and support of the community ensures its vital role in the future of educating students who pass through our school.
Our Governing Authority since 2021 is the Diocese of Ballarat Catholic Education Limited (DOBCEL). Prior to that we had a number of Sacred Heart Parish Priests who were the Governing Authority of the school.
Sacred Heart Mildura acknowledges the Australian Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander peoples as the first inhabitants of the nation and the Traditional Custodians of the lands where we live, learn and work.